Thursday, July 24, 2008

Emergency Room

So off we trotted to the hospital.
Thankfully I knew the RN on duty in the ED. I was taken straight in and had my BP taken, it was slightly high (normal range but classified as high for me) and I'm happy to put that down to me being very stressed under the circumstances. I was then taken out the back and they attempted to take bloods. They did a bloody cr@p job of it, 3 goes in one arm, 2 in the other. I was left with a haematoma in my left arm the size of a golf ball. The bruising is still yet to fade.I was told the bloods would take 2 hours.
I was admitted after this and the incompetent wards clerk took me to the post natal ward. I actually stopped her half way down the corridor and asked her if she thought it was appropriate to be taking someone to maternity who is more than likely having a miscarriage? She didn't even flinch, nor apologise and said oh cr@p am I going to the wrong place. This came after she repeatedly asked me if this was my 3rd child and had I been bleeding for 3 days. It is obviously not a pre-requisite for a wards clerk to be able to read the notes they have in front of them. After learning I was a nurse she then decided I could do my own handover to the ward, fine my me, at least they'd get accurate information then!!!!
I was put in a bed and told to change, 30 seconds later I was scolded for not being dressed yet. I then 'politely' told them that if they bothered to leave the curtains closed for two minutes I would be more than willing to get changed. I was told I was having an internal, then I was told I wasn't, then I was told I was. I stopped them and said I am bleeding slightly, my cervix is slightly open (no more then when I was checking for O when TTC), what other information do you need? The NURSE then proceeded to lift up my gown, look at my vagina and then place the gown back down. Righto, guess she just wanted to check out my bits????
So the OB Registrar FINALLY comes up with an ultrasound machine - I thought we were getting somewhere. Ultrasound machine goes on, wand goes on my belly, and she starts looking on the left hand side. I politely tell her its on the RIGHT hand side and she may get a better view by moving over there. She said there is no point as the u/s machine is so old and 'ready for retirement' that she isn't looking for a heartbeat, because she will not be able to detect it because of the cr@ppy flickering screen on the U/S. So the verdict is, yep there is something in your uterus, I just cant tell you what or how big.
So I'm in shock, pretty much disgusted with the entire evenings events. I asked for my Beta HCG as that would give me a clearer picture. Nope not ready. I was asked if I wanted to stay in overnight and have a 'proper' U/S the next day, or would I prefer to go home and book in to their clinic tomorrow. I chose to go home, with my U/S referral, intending to visit my OWN U/S clinic the next day. I was told to ring back at 10.00pm that night to get my HCG results.Back home and I had a nice bi7ch about how I'd never go to THAT hospital again
10.00pm rolls by and I ring back, no dr's around to give me the results, they are in surgery. Lady PROMISES me that if I take my phone to bed that a dr will ring me as soon as they have finished.
I went to sleep and wake up at 1am. No call. Sooooo I rang them back, was told that all dr's had left, no one around to give me the results, advised them of what I had been told. Was then told 'JUST BECAUSE IT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU DOESN'T MEAN WE CARE". I told her I thought her bedside manner was lovely and did she perhaps think she was better suited to working in a morgue. All I can say is do NOT mess with a woman who is trying to find out if she has lost her baby.

No comments: